Aerosol Can Under Sink Scenario
It was a late summer day and a woman and her friend were in the kitchen baking pies when there was a popping sound under the sink. One of the women opened the cabinet door and noticed an aerosol can of insecticide on its side. Just as she went to pick up the can a flash explosion occurred. The aerosol can was on the order of ten years old and had corroded around the bottom double seam (see photo) to the point of failure. The flash explosion was caused by the flammable propane and butane propellants when they reached the burning flames in the gas oven. The woman received severe burns to her legs and her dog also caught on fire.
Bottom of Can
Top of Can
| This “Under Sink Scenario”
has been investigated at least four times by Chemaxx, once involving hair spray
and twice involving spray paints. The issues in these cases typically involve
corrosion science, the flammability of propellants, the effectiveness of label
warnings and the consumer’s general awareness about corrosion and storage conditions.
Dr. Fox is a Certified Fire & Explosion Investigator who is also an aerosol expert. He made presentations at national societies on the fire and explosion hazards associated with aerosols and was the first to publish a peer-reviewed paper on aerosol failures. He now leads the field in the number of peer-reviewed papers on aerosol failures.
©2006 CHEMAXX, INC