Aerosol Spray Paint Fire and Burns - Indiana #1
A woman was preparing to spray paint wicker furniture. Following logo-type instructions on the aerosol cap, she attempted to remove the cap with a screwdriver. The screwdriver punctured the can and it suddenly released all it contents into the room. A pilot light on a gas water heater ignited the propane/butane propellant and flammable solvents. The woman received severe burns on her legs and feet.
| The technical issues in the case include labeling,
the logo-type instructions to open the can, the nature of the propellants, alternative
propellants, and the metallurgical nature of the can itself. |
Dr. Fox is a Certified Fire & Explosion Investigator who is also an aerosol expert. He made presentations at national societies on the fire and explosion hazards associated with aerosols and was the first to publish a peer-reviewed paper on aerosol failures. He now leads the field in the number of peer-reviewed papers on aerosol failures.
©2006 CHEMAXX, INC